- Scrub potatos clean removing the dirt but not all the skin,
- Put the potatos into a large pot th, and fill with water to just about the level of the potatos,
- Bring pot to a boil and cook the potatos through. They are cooked when you stick a knive into them and don't feel any great stiffness. They should slide off the knife with just a small shake,
- Drain the potatos and remove from the pot. (Don't let them soak in the water that might be still in the pot),
- Cut the bacon into bits and fry until almost crispy. (This is up to personal taste, if you like bacon almost burnt to a cinder then make it that way, but normally it is cooked just short of being crunchy),
- By now the potatos should have cooled enough for you to be able to handle them and remove the skin. Slice the potatos into thick slices into a large bowl,
- Pour the vinegar over the potatos and mix thoroughly,
Option - you can at this point put the bowl to the side or in the refrigerator (if there's room) and let the vinegar soak into the potato for a while. I generally let the vinegar soak for about a 1/2 hour. If you want your potato salad warm/hot, then just continue with the recipe.
- Dice the onion into fairly good sized pieces,
- Pour the oil into the bowl with the potatos, mix thoroughly,
- Mix the onion in with the potatos, the regular onion will give it a bit of zip while the purple salad onion will be more smooth,
- Mix the bacon in with the potatos,
- Add the salt and pepper and, again, mix,
- You can now add either the chopped chives or parsley, whichever suits your taste buds better, I feel that the parsley adds more to a warm potato salad while the chives complements the cold potato salad,
- Taste , always a good thing to do, and adjust the salt and pepper if necessary. Salt will liven up the whole salad, pepper gives it a bit of a zip. If, however, the salad is too bitter, then use a small pinch of sugar. If you are not sure what the salad needs as far as adjusting, put it back into the refrigerator for a while. Repeat tasting and adjusting after 15 minutes.
Not active yet ..